- Provides partnership and guidance to management teams such as coaching, counseling, career development, and disciplinary action.
- Works closely with managers and employees to improve work relationships, positively impact morale, increase productivity and retention.
- Leads mediation proceedings between employees, supervisors, and department heads to settle work-related conflicts through advice and final recommendations for action.
- Analyzes trends and recommends solutions
- In handling matters, ensures compliance to all relevant employment laws (provincial and federal) and company policies and procedures.
- Responds to employee relation issues such as employee complaints, harassment allegations, and civil rights complaints, and leads investigatory proceedings associated with the issues raised.
- Provides guidance and input on various business issues such as unit restructures, workforce planning and succession planning.
- Coordinates with the Loss Prevention department in investigation resolutions involving employees.
- Reviews involuntary terminations in accordance with the company’s established processes to ensure consistency and lawful practices. Will escalate and partner with senior HR leaders for particularly difficult or sensitive matters.
- Maintains a position and philosophy consistent with the company’s values and standards.
- Maintains in-depth knowledge of federal and state regulations regarding employment practices related to the day-to-day management of employees to reduce legal risks and ensuring regulatory compliance.
- Represents the company for unemployment claims in assigned area of responsibility.
- Partners with senior HR leadership to assist with legal claims in assigned area of responsibility.
Policy and Procedures
- Administers various human resources plans, policies and procedures for employees in assigned area of responsibility. Assists in the development and implementation of employment policies and procedures, and employee handbook updates.
- Participates in evaluation of reports, metrics, decisions, and results for the HR department and assigned area of responsibility in relation to established goals. Recommends new approaches, policies, and procedures to effect continual improvements in efficiency and services performed.
- Partners with applicable employees and management to communicate various Human Resources policies, procedures, laws, standards and government regulations.
- Partners with applicable recruiting team members and company management in reviewing and recommending specific internal applicants for open positions throughout the company.
- To the extent possible, conducts exit interviews and analyzes data in area of responsibility and makes recommendations to the management team for corrective action and continuous improvement.
- Provides back-up support to other HRBPs across the enterprise when they are out of the office as needed. Will be cross-trained in other areas of responsibility for this purpose as well as train others on own primary area of responsibility.
- Other duties and projects as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in business, human resources, or other related field is preferred. Equivalent work experience may be substituted for education depending on the experience.
- A minimum of 5 years of applicable human resources experience required.
- Background or education in employment law and other government compliance regulations preferred.
- Demonstrated success in objectively coaching employees and managing through complex, difficult, employee relations issues.
- Proven ability to effectively resolve problems or issues by using good judgment that is consistent with company standards, practices, policies, procedures, values, and applicable regulations and/or laws.
- Possess excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to clearly and effectively present ideas/recommendations verbally and in writing.
- Basic to intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Office suite of software tools.
- Dependable and highly detailed individual with strong time-management and organizational skills.
- Highly motivated, results-driven and able to work independently as well as with the team.
- Possess a high level of integrity – must show good judgment and confidentiality at all times.
- Read, speak, write and understand the English and French language fluently.
- Ability to travel occasionally as needed.
Through Teamwork, Ownership, People, Integrity and Community our client are always trying to do the right thing the right way. It is what makes them a unique and fun place to work and shop. Their leaders have the most impact on their teams, customers and brands. They look to their leadership team to ensure that their workforce is treated with the utmost respect, care and dignity in all interactions and build brand heroes who connect with their customers.